American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Monday, January 08, 2007

New knives, new guns, new year

This year has been very busy so far. Yes, it means I haven't had much time to get online to update the blog. I hope to change that going forward.

The new exercise routine seems to be stumbling already but I'm ready to get back on that wagon today and begin the slow march toward fitness and much-improved endurance.

I received a new folding knife from Jim Krause of Missouri with the new CPM 154CM steel, Titanium liners, and giraffe bone scales. The knife is a thing of beauty and should hold up well to everyday use. I'll be doing a more thorough write-up in the coming days.

Over the weekend I managed to shoot not one but two new guns. Well, they're not really new guns but they were new to me. First was my Grandfather's Winchester Model 37 shotgun. I cleaned and oiled it before I headed to the range and picked up a couple boxes of shells. I fired it once just to make sure the firing pin worked okay and the second shot was at a rabbit (the clay kind thrown from a machine) and I dusted it. That means the gun's got good luck as a hunter and shooter.

Second was my father-in-law's L.C. Smith side-by-side which I used to shoot four rounds of 5-stand (25 targets) yesterday. I recorded 15/25, 15/25, 15/25, and 15/25 for the four rounds. Not my best shooting but certainly my most consistent good shooting to date. I'm really liking shooting with "Elsie" even though she kicks pretty good. A slip-on recoil pad should increase the length of pull a bit and make the gun more tolerable for the long shooting days. We'll see if I can't improve on yesterday's performance before I have to return Elsie to her proper owner.

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 4:12 PM, Blogger sam said...

Great to see you back! I hope you had a good holiday and look forward to your writing this year. I thought you said something about a more minimalist approach................

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Thanks Sam. It's good to get back to some semblance of "normal" around here.

I'm working on the minimalist approach but I am having quite a difficult time overcoming my own impulses to add gear when I've got space left in the pack.

B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home