American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, April 29, 2006

New Hilleberg 5 XP Tarp


Got a Hilleberg 5 XP in yesterday's mail. From reading the specs on Moontrail's website it looked to be the perfect size for the style of shelter I would be most likely to pitch on a regular basis. The Hilleberg XP tarps use Sil-Polyester and the UL tarps use Sil-Nylon. For the extra 6 oz. of the XP I'll take the extra UV resistance and tear strength.

Having been to the fabric store and shopping for ripstop nylon to make my own tarp I know that I would have spent nearly as much for material as the Hilleberg cost and I wouldn't have had the stitching, the sil-polyester material, OR the lifetime warranty Hilleberg offers.

Upsides:
  • Packs down SMALL and compresses even further
  • Green color easier to blend in to surroundings
  • Comes with guylines already attached
  • 18 oz. for almost 5 feet X 11.5 feet (1.45m X 3.5m)
  • Sil-polyester feels nice and sturdy
  • Tie-outs have metal/hard plastic rings for durability

Downsides:

  • Guylines were a rat's nest when I pulled the tarp out of the stuff sack and had to be unknotted and retied
  • A bit smaller (narrower) than anticipated

Overall I'm pleased with my purchase. Once I get it outdoors and pitched a time or two I may be able to come back here and revisit my pros/cons list and revise. For $50 though I'd say you'll be hard-pressed to beat the apparent value as long as you're comfortable with a minimalist shelter.

Thanks for reading,

B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home