American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Not Sure I Remember How To Do This

Recently I learned of the existence of a NEW (to me) version of the venerable Mora 510 called the Basic Carver shown here with the current production 510.

Both are carbon steel and both share the same handle and sheath but the finer point of the Basic Carver will allow you to make tighter turns in your carving while still giving you enough blade to handle most of your bushcrafting tasks.

If you've been reading this blog for a while you know how much I like the handle on the 510 so it should come as no surprise that I really, really like the Basic Carver and have already worked up a method of neck carry so I can have it at the ready when I need it.

Best of all, they're priced like the OLD Mora knives (NOT the Bushcraft line) so you can pick one of these up from a place like Ben's Backwoods for a whopping $10.98US pretty much any day of the week.

Now, DON'T snap them all up before I can get a couple more for stashing around the house, in the car, etc. but DO feel free to get one and put it through its paces. I think you'll agree it's really a fantastic addition to the knife stable and very hard to beat from a value to performance standpoint.

Now I did put my own Scandi edge on it as soon as it arrived but that wasn't because it was dull but rather because I really LIKE to put my own edge on a knife so that any edge issues are on me and it also minimizes the chances that a knife designed and built for performance might have to endure a life as a safe queen. :)

Welcome back and thanks for reading,


B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home