American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Superglue and Sawdust--the Pictures

As I mentioned, I've been spending some time dialing in my gear lately and this superglue and sawdust trick is the newest, and most addictive, technique. I'm finding myself actually looking for things to repair.

The thinnest CA glue is the stuff you want to use because it can actually penetrate the pores of the wood to create a sort of micarta-type material that is part natural and part synthetic.

(Click for larger image)











The last picture is the handle on my Tramontina machete. The scales were a bit proud of the tang and normally I'd sand down the wood to make everything flush to prevent a "pinch channel" that could cause hot spots on my hand during use. This time I decided to see if I could fill the gap with superglue and sawdust and it worked flawlessly. The back is now so smooth that you can't tell there was a "fix" of any kind.

I'm fairly sure this technique would work with other materials as well and know that modelers use baking soda and superglue to build up parts of polystyrene.

Just remember to be careful. Superglue this thin runs like mad and I could see how easy it would be to get some on your fingers or on the floor. I worked outside and kept my hands well clear of the glue for the few seconds it took it to set up.

The machete project, from start to finish, must have taken me only a few minutes. I let the glue cure for 24 hours before wiping down with oil but that's just a precaution I've been taking with no particular reason. :)

Thanks for reading,


B

4 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger Dustin Tarditi said...

Looks great - it was hard to see the channel in the "before" pics.

I would also like to point out the excellent safety precaution of taping the blade before tinkering with the knife...

 
At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Randy Church said...

Howdy Mr. Bushman, you can also dye the sawdust to match. Super glue also makes a decent sealer for unfinished knife handles, swirt it on and wipe it with a piece of denim then steel wool when dry but the fumes will kill ya. Love your site....Regards.....Randy Church

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Funny you should mention that Randy.

I was just thinking today that you could use other kinds of wood/sawdust to make the repair stand out and then I thought about the decorative use of the same method.

An Opinel, for example, could be carved and then "repaired" using a much darker sawdust and the pattern would really pop.

I like the idea about sealing the wood too. I'll have to give that a try. It's a final coat right? In other words, you can't stain or oil over it.

Thanks,



B

 
At 6:19 AM, Anonymous Randy Church said...

Correct Sir, it's a top coat. Quick, easy and lasts. A little shiny for my tastes but I also like rust, Maybe I can talk Superglue into offering a MATTE!......Randy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home