American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Monday, March 21, 2011

Adjustable Pot Stand

I saw this video this morning on YouTube:



and thought it a very clever project idea.

I think I'll dig out my Graves book and find the details to put one together.

The style of adjustable pot hanger I make has always been more like this. It uses a rock or heavy log to hold down the long stick and then one more "Y" branch to support it.

The one in the video (by the way, great job with the video wgfarmer if you're reading this) is more easily adjusted if not slightly more work to construct.

Since I tend to use the Zebra Billy Can, hanging is probably the best method but I often find myself setting the pot in the coals as it's faster and easier. It is not, however, as simple to control the heat that way.

The whole construct looks like it uses three parts. An upright, a forked stick to wrap behind the upright, and a longer double-forked stick to hold the pot that attaches to the first forked stick.

Once I dig out Graves, I'll see if there are illustrations and try to get something put together.

Thanks for reading,


B

6 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know this might be a silly question,but im really confused i have a swedish mess kit and i want to know if its stsinless or aluminum?its heavy and a magnet wont stick to it but ive read yhe military uses a non magnetic steel,so is there a way to be sure thanks,chris from al.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Let me weigh one of each Chris.

The Aluminum one isn't light but it's quite a bit lighter than the stainless but that comparison won't get much traction if you don't have one of each. :)

I'll weigh the empty tins and get back to you later today.

Thanks,


B

 
At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks b and sorry for the poor grammer lol,,my fat thumbs seem to crowd each other on this new droid ,,chris

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Aluminum = 18.6 oz.
Stainless = 31.5 oz.

Now, that's a sample size of 2 (1 of each) so those weights are probably not as definitive as I'd like but you can see the stainless one is close to 2 pounds and the Aluminum one is closer to 1.5 pounds.

Those are empty tins only (i.e. no windscreen, fuel bottle, or stove) and the stainless one has been fully stripped of paint.

B

 
At 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks so much ,,i know i was way off the subject but i couldnt find a way to to differenciate between the two,,,my wife said ask you she says you know he knows or can find out lol.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

LOL!

Not so far off topic. The one in my picture is Aluminum.

:)

B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home