American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, July 31, 2009

The Repair Kit

I like to carry some needles and safety pins with me at all times just in case I need to make a quick gear or clothing repair but I've always lacked a decent solution to the problem of toting those things around. I have just stuck a few needles and safety pins into a piece of cloth and rolled it up and tossed it into a pocket on my bag.

This morning, I'm prepping the diaper bag for a trip to the Milwaukee Zoo tonight and it occurs to me that there MUST be a better solution. I hate reaching into the bag only to find a safety pin has come undone and now my finger is bleeding from sticking myself.

Enter the Going Gear capsule I received with my last shipment. There it sat on the countertop right next to the bag after a quick afternoon photo shoot as if put there by fate. It's the right length, has enough inside diameter to accommodate a couple of safety pins and three or four needles. The split ring on the top can be used to attach a small hank of paracord which will provide me with plenty of thread.

"Hmmm...," I think to myself, "maybe this would work for my little sewing kit. Let's give it a try."

And that, my friends, is how I got to this post today. I now have a solution to a long time problem that was always at the back of my mind (unless I'd just stuck myself again) and it presented itself in a very timely fashion.

So, we're going to give it a run.

Thanks for reading,


B

3 Comments:

At 5:59 AM, Blogger Nigel said...

Would an old camera film capsule have been enough? I use one for holding parking coins in the car. Just a first thought as I "stumbled"on to your site.

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Nigel,

Perhaps it would be enough. The problem I've experienced with film canisters is that, unless stowed very carefully, the cap will pop off when they're compressed and then I've got the same problem with loose sharps.

They may also have been a bit too short (at least the 35mm cans I've got around here.)

I have used them in the past to hold salt and pepper but those vials are stored inside my cookset so there's little chance of them taking a big impact and even if the lids do pop off there's a very small chance that the mess goes any further than inside the mess tins.

Thanks for your comment,

B

 
At 7:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice - I ordered some cylinders from Lee Valley Tools, but they are more expensive then these ones - thanks for the heads up on this company, I was unaware of their existence.

Their magnet compass comes with one - see link below. The smallest compass I am aware of.

http://tinyurl.com/kvhm63

Thanks again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home