American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, June 05, 2009

Swanndri: I Think That Did It!

Well, I'm facing a bit of a personal crisis. I think the Customs invoice I received today may be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I have placed three orders with Swanndri in New Zealand and have been hit with hefty Customs Duties each time. This time it was for $83 and change on a $200 order. That's a hefty additional charge no matter the quality of the gear.

Add to that the fact that the latest shipment was made entirely in China (yes, Kiwi bush shirts made in China--go figure) and you've got one supremely unhappy customer.

I think I'm pulling the plug on my relationship with them. I haven't contacted them to complain about this invoice from US Customs but the last time, after a mistake on THEIR end, I simply received a store credit with an expiration date.

Sure, I've got enough Swannie gear to last the rest of my days so this isn't as big a decision as it could be but I think it's enough to prevent me from placing a fourth order with them.

That's just my opinion.

Thanks for reading,


B

4 Comments:

At 5:19 PM, Blogger sam said...

There are British equivalents and American made ones too. Check out Bison Bushcraft or Bemidji Woolen Mills.

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Merriwether said...

Thanks for the warning. I've been wanting one of their Mosgiel shirts but if they cost that much extra forget it. :-(

 
At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Pablo said...

Guys. Have a look at www.bisonbushcraft.co.uk Guide shirts (No connection with the company). They are highly regarded over here and everyone I've talked to say they are better than swandri. I think so too.

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Todd said...

I agree, not worth the $ if made in China and the amount of tax is excessive. I have never heard of the Bison Bushcraft???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home