American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Monday, June 15, 2009

Day at the Lake

I spent yesterday at my parents' lake house and got a chance to build a fire using my knife, firesteel, and found natural tinders. Everything was wet but I did eventually get things going.

Along the way I got a chance to use my new axe performance tuned by Brian Andrews at Off the Map Outfitters. It saw more use splitting wood than it did anything else and I even managed to knock off the top corner on a nail hidden in a piece of wood. (Off to the sharpening stone today...)

I tended the fire for most of the day and used that axe hard throughout and never developed any hot spots or blisters.

It was nice to get away from the day to day for a short while and I got to exercise my inner-pyromaniac too. :)

Thanks for reading,


B

1 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Anonymous SurvivalTopics.com said...

Making fires is ingrained in every human. Best to exercise that instinct every now and then!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home