American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Fallkniven F1 Maintenance Day

Well, I've done it. I chipped my F1 yesterday while using the wrong tool for the job.

So, today I'm removing metal with a coarse stone and then I'll get it sharp again. The dings aren't terrible but they're right in the middle of the straight part of the blade and cutting will go much smoother if I remove them rather than just sharpen over them.

I'll admit that I enjoy spending some time working over my blade from time to time so this isn't a hardship. I just wish I hadn't forced myself to remove excess material when it didn't need to be that way.

Thanks for reading,


EDIT: This whole project has only taken maybe 10 minutes and the knife is as good as new--with a few little marks to remind me of the work this knife has done. (I said they were little dings.) :)

B

3 Comments:

At 7:31 AM, Anonymous SurvivalTopics.com said...

I know how you feel, when a prized piece of gear becomes injured in some way. But I have found that over time that same gear develops a character of its own, the various nicks and dings and patches a mark of the owner. Through hard use the gear becomes more prized.

My axe comes to mind - it has been through some 25-years of hard use. Battered it is. But I would never trade it for a new one.

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

You're absolutely right. It's just part of the routine that develops that connection.

Thanks for your comment,


B

 
At 11:43 AM, Anonymous George Hedgepeth said...

Only unused tools are pristine. If dings mean experience, not abuse, they are marks of honor!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home