American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Material Comparison and Contrast

My tastes have changed dramatically over the years when it comes to knives and sheaths. I was once interested in the latest and greatest super steel ground sharp(ish) and shoved into a kydex/Concealex sheath. I had no use for leather sheaths and carbon steels. They required too much care and maintenance.

Then, one day, it happened. I became a...gulp...Traditionalist.

I started to read Kephart and Nessmuk, Rustrum and Seton, even Mears and Angier...

Now I haven't completely turned my back on the knives I once found so interesting but I have certainly learned to embrace the routine maintenance that is required of my leather sheaths and carbon steel blades. I've also learned to appreciate the patina that comes with use.

Over time I'll be posting some observations pitting one material against another. I have no preconceived notions about which is "better" or "worse" as I understand each and every thing has its place. I just know how I've used the materials in the past and how I'm using the materials at present.

B

1 Comments:

At 2:52 PM, Blogger Pablo said...

I'll be looking forward to this.
Cheers
Pablo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home