American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, August 11, 2006

Campsite Carry

How many of you have specific gear you have with you at all times when you're out camping?

I tend to carry some essentials (compass, metal match, whistle, etc.) on a baldric rig of braided paracord. My knife hangs off this rig as well giving me some very basic and very important gear should I lose the campsite for one reason or another.

Today I'm thinking about the extra capacity of a fanny-pack or waist pack.

It'd probably be handy for a daily carry too as it'd offload my wallet, phone, etc. to a waist pack instead of my pockets.

Going to have to experiment with this idea a bit...

Thanks for reading,

B

4 Comments:

At 5:01 AM, Blogger Pablo said...

I'm not sure about a waist bag. I've just taken a lot of kit off my belt because of the weight and interference with rucksack waist straps. I'm left with just a small leather pouch and pen knife now. I tend to put tools and other larger necessities in a shoulder bag. This doubles as a day bag as it can be carried on the back (like a small rucksack) or over the shoulder.

Cheers, Pablo

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Hmm...that leather pouch may be the kind of thing I'm thinking of.

I'm just thinking about having some essentials (i.e. firesteel, water purification tabs, tinder, etc.) handy whenever I'm in, around, and away from camp.

Any chance you've got some pictures of the leather pouch?

Thanks,

B

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Pablo said...

Sure...have a look here

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c269/prmaklpboo/DSC00509.jpg

I got mine here:

http://www.madeincumbria.co.uk/gallery/fh_wilson.html#beltpouch

It's cheaper than going to the bushcraft sites and it looks like they post to the USA. Mine's the medium one, but they do do a larger version. In mine I've got tinder, SAK, lighter, band aids, string, headache tablets, a tea bag(!) green heat gel, and there's still a bit of spare room.

Another site is:

http://www.bearclawbushcraft.co.uk/trading/misc.htm

Hope this helps

Regards

Pablo

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

That is precisely what I'm looking for. I also know of Gary at Bearclaw and have done a bit of business with him in the past.

Thank you.

B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home