American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, May 05, 2006

Doing more with less

Working toward my goal of doing more with less I'm working to reduce single-use items from my kit and trying to see just how light I can go and still be comfortable.

What I've come up with so far:
  • Bark River Gameskeeper
  • Mucket
  • Firestarting Kit
  • Tarp
  • Cordage


Doesn't seem like a huge load but it'll provide me with several of the basics.
  • Gameskeeper = tools, utensils, firewood, etc.
  • Mucket = food prep, water gathering/purification
  • Firestarting Kit = fire, light, warmth
  • Tarp = shelter
  • Cordage = Too many uses to list


You can last up to 3 weeks without food (I can probably last 5 with the spare tire I'm lugging around) so bringing emergency rations with me falls very low on the list.

I'd probably also throw in some trash bags or zip-top bags just in case I needed to distill water.

The trick, as I've discovered, is not in making the list but in keeping the load restricted to that list. When I head out I too often double or triple the weight of my pack by adding unnecessary components "just 'cause."

Thanks for reading,

B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home