American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Pheasant Hunting

Yesterday I spent the day at the Richmond Hunting Club with my father in law, brother in law, and his wife's brother walking the fields and shooting pheasant.

We only spent a couple of hours in the field and came home with 17 birds which I put in the freezer for future consumption.

Today my legs and back are screaming after the high-stepping through scrub and up and down the fields.

We hunted corn fields, milo, wheat, and tall grass. I don't know what the ratio of birds seen to birds shot was but we did a good job of hitting what we saw.

The hunt club was packed and that meant lots of hunting pressure in the fields. We saw hunters in adjacent fields all day and a few times found ourselves down range from their shots. Once I even got peppered with a little lead shot but at that distance it had lost any significant velocity and did little more than rattle off my hat.

It's been a good week for me. Hunting two weekends in a row with success on both hunts, a new freezer, and plenty of meat to fill it.

I'm going to be organizing another trip to Richmond in the next couple of weeks and maybe I'll get lucky and scare up a wild turkey. There were three of them on the boards outside the clubhouse yesterday and our guide told us that they were fair game if we flushed one yesterday.

We're presently getting our first significant snow of the year and the forecast is calling for 4-8 inches in the next day or so. The kids and I are planning on building a quinze or snow trench if we get enough and it sticks around. We're picking the spot this morning.

Thanks for reading,


B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home