American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Got 58 Minutes?

I found a link to this video yesterday on PaleoPlanet and watched the whole thing from start to finish. Then I got up this morning and watched it all again.



There is just so much information in here about not only building a birch bark canoe but also about traditional woodworking, sewing using spruce roots, waterproofing with pine pitch and animal fat, and even some axe work. These are all things I did at the Primitive Skills course with George at Briar Patch Outdoors.

I really, really enjoyed watching this video (both times) and will probably watch it again once the day's festivities are over. I probably won't use the information to build my own birch bark canoe but I could certainly apply it toward building another birch basket or even carving a spoon.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks for reading,


B

3 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Blogger Eric The Cleric said...

Amazing video. thanks for sharing!

 
At 4:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the beginning, as soon as he dispatched the 3-inch tree with one swift motion of applying pressure against it whileaxing it at about a 45-degree angle I knew this is a very experienced woodsman.

Give anyone else an exe and watch the hack job commence.

 
At 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow this is incredible. I met a guy in Vermont a few weeks ago at a Wilderness First Aid class who told me he cross-country skied the length of Vermont (270 miles) and then build a canoe by hand and paddled back south. This video reminded me of him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home