American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Getting Out

When I crawled out of bed this morning I really felt the cold that's been trying to beat me for the past several days.

I really felt like crawling back into bed and sleeping until I felt better but that's rarely an option. Today was no exception.

Instead I went outside and got a fire going using my firesteel, a Fehrman First Strike, and materials found in the yard.

It has been cold and wet here for the past few days and everything outside is soaked through. After working down some pieces of wood to the dry core and then fuzzing some of them I managed to get a spark to take in some grasses I had stuffed inside my shirt hoping my body heat would help dry them enough to use. Success!

I sat outside and watched that fire burn for a couple of hours and enjoyed the heat and light.

Believe it or not, I feel much better now. I don't know if it was the smoke, the fire, or the effort that I needed but it must have been some part of the effort.

I think I'm going to blow off the rest of my schedule for today and get in a nice long hike. Who knows how good I'll feel by the time I get home.

Thank for reading,


B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home