American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Monday, October 27, 2008

Teaching Primitive Skills

I just finished helping out with a class project and giving a brief presentation on Native American skills at the kids' school.

I wasn't originally planning on doing anything more than offering a helping hand to the project leaders but they knew I had some things to show and knowledge to offer to the students. Thus I was allowed to present the braintan buckskin bag I made at Briar Patch last summer as well as the needles, awl, and other tools.

We were making charm pouches today so the kids got the opportunity to see one put together with bone needles and backstrap sinew using braintan versus the felt, thread, and plastic needles they were using. I think it helped them to understand a bit more about what they were doing.

After I finished my first class the project leaders asked me to stick around to help with a second class and I was more than happy to oblige.

Making sure the information being put out was accurate was important to me and the kids have a very good basic understanding of the story behind the various bits of Native American gear they've made (dream catchers last week, charm pouches today, etc.)

I wasn't expecting this morning to generate a post-worthy time but then it did. :)

Hopefully I've turned some members of the next generation on to American History and aboriginal culture today.

Thanks for reading,


B

3 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's simply great. It's a fantastic feeling to pass on knowledge to anyone let alone the next generation. Well done, and I hope you get the opportunity to do some more.

 
At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is what it is all about. Keep it going- these skills are our birthright as humans.

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

The women who run the projects sit on some sort of Executive Board and they've asked me to join them to help plan and execute future lessons.

This must be a 2nd Grade study unit because the reading and projects have been on-going for weeks and continues for a few more weeks at least.

We're taking a trip to a Native American museum next week.

Thanks for your comments,


B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home