American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Vitamin B1 to Deter Mosquitoes?

I've been taking Vitamin B1 supplements since two weeks before the Primitive Skills class as instructed to create an "internal protection" against mosquitoes. Once the class was over I've let the daily regimen slip a bit as I had mixed results while following the routine closely.

I was taking 50mg three times a day and have since upped the dosage to 100mg. Whether or not that was enough to offer me protection is still unclear. It seemed like I got bitten less but I don't really have a control group to verify that.

What I do know is that the bites I have gotten seem to itch less when I take B1. Apparently the plantain (Plantago major) is also high in Vitamin B1 and is what I've used ever since the Primitive Skills class to handle mosquito bites and the occasional bee sting.

Is there some correlation here? I don't know.

It seems to be working for me, isn't terribly expensive, keeps me DEET free, and the B1 is water soluable so I get rid of any excess every time I go to the bathroom.

I'll have to do some more extensive testing next summer as the season for the mossies is nearly up and then I'll stop taking B1 altogether.

Thanks for reading,


B

3 Comments:

At 2:53 PM, Blogger viridari said...

I carry in my EDC bag a lemon-eucalyptus based mosquito repellant (NO DEET!) that I got at Wal*mart. So far it has been working well for me, but it does need to be refreshed every few hours or so.

 
At 4:22 AM, Blogger Panday said...

Bushman,

I found an interesting article HERE on natural mosquito prevention. Let us know if you try this and how it works.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Krisek said...

Yes, B1 is as natural repellent. But... I think it's a good means one or two weeks after consumption. We must by carefully - to much this vitamin is more harmful as mosquito's bite.

Better is to use it outside - as suspension in water - in time of 'randevous' with mosquitoes.

An very good natural means: artemisia absynthium and artemisia vulgaris! It work only by existents close of us. When it's used as embrocation - it's really miracle!

krisek AT infocentrum.com
www.survival.infocentrum.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home