American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Monday, December 11, 2006

Working on a project

I know the updates have been infrequent of late and that, I'm afraid, isn't going to get better before the new year.

I am working on a project right now restoring a 1936 vintage Winchester Model 37 shotgun for my dad. It belonged to my grandfather when he was a boy. The gun has been sitting in a closet or garage for probably the last 20 years and has gotten quite a bit of rust on the barrel.

I cleaned up the bore yesterday, oiled and wiped the whole thing down, and then took a worn Scotchbrite pad to the rust and gently removed it.

The barrel and receiver will need to be reblued but the gun seems to be in useable shape as is.

I plan on getting a box of shells for it this week and shooting it on Saturday before I head south for the holidays.

Thanks for reading,

B

3 Comments:

At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No steel shot...

Lead only.

Spen

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

My face thanks you for that.

Steel shot would tear up that old barrel and could have turned an afternoon of shooting into a nightmare.

I'm not even certain that I'll find 16 gauge shells at many of the local sporting goods stores.

Thanks again,

B

 
At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remind me the next time you swing by. I might have some that will work. At least you can give it a try.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home