American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Sunday, October 08, 2006

First venison of the season


We went out to dinner with my in-laws last night and their Country Club had a game-heavy menu that included pheasant, venison, walleye, duck, etc. This is quite a departure from the usual fare and quite a risk for the chef to take.

I had venison medallions (thin slices of loin) roasted and served with a cranberry Madeira wine reduction, roasted acorn squash, and a neat presentation of mashed russet and sweet potato. Yum.

There's little that fits better the taste of the season than pheasant, venison, duck, turkey, and goose. There is assuredly a reason for this (traditionally hunting season for these animals is this time of year.) Add apples, cranberries, and squash to the mix and you have a wide variety of delicious dishes that are easily prepared.

Thanks for reading,


B

1 Comments:

At 5:03 PM, Blogger Panday said...

Stay at home dad who hunts: good for you! I should be so lucky.

I found your site by doing a search for the word "knifemaking", and I'm glad I found it. I make knives and I'd be happy to have you stop by my site, if you're still interested in different knives. I like what I've read in your later posts and plan on visiting here more often.

Speaking of hunting and venison, I created my own knife design for a hunting knife and traded the finished product for a freezer full of venison. :-) You can see the knife at:
http://thepanday.blogspot.com/2006/08/cazador-grande-knife-this-knife-is.html

Are you from Michigan? I noticed in an earlier post that you were at Bark River Knives near Escanaba.

Best regards,
Stephen Renico

 

Post a Comment

<< Home