American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Food

Well, here it is. The food.

I've got more than enough food for the meals on this trip but I'll go through the list for you to let you know what I plan on eating over the course of the next week or so. These meals will, of course, be supplemented by the folks at Briar Patch Outdoors during the survival class portion of the trip.


  • Dried ground beef
  • Dehydrated carrots
  • Dehydrated sweet corn
  • Potato flakes
  • Rice
  • Coffee
  • Powdered milk
  • Spices, salt, and sugar
  • Honey
  • Tea
  • Drink packets
  • Bannock
  • Bulgur wheat
  • One Mainstay 3600 survival ration
  • One Clif Bar
  • Parched corn and muscovado

I also have in the bag my 12cm Zebra billy can with the Clikstand and Trangia burner, a Trangia tea kettle, a GSI Lexan measuring cup/mug, and an extra bottle of fuel.

I have pre-mixed some of the beef with the carrots, corn, and potato flakes and will just add to that an appropriate measure of hot water and it'll make some nice hearty stew. I have also left the components separate because anyone that has eaten the same thing day after day after day will tell you that it can get pretty darned old after a while.

You may have noticed a lack of green leafy veggies on that list. That's because I'm going to rely on Marty and George's expertise in wild plant identification and I hope to eat from the land as much as possible.

One more full day here and then I'm off for 10 days of adventure. Normally this would be the time you'd find me stressed out and grumpy. Not so today. The more time I spend packing my gear for the trip the more relaxed and excited I become.

I can hardly wait!!!

Thanks for reading,


B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home