American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, July 14, 2006

Bastille Day

To my French readers, Happy Bastille Day!

I have been working on a process to accelerate the aged appearance of leather and steel lately. For the reenactor, it makes his/her gear look more authentic. For the greenhorn, it makes him look more experienced as his gear shows more signs of wear.

The process I'm using for leather is extremely dirty and takes a bit of elbow grease. The end result, however, speaks for itself.

I'm working on some leather right now for a Renaissance Fair this coming weekend and the temperature today is already nearing 80 degrees and the humidity is extremely high. This means I'm not just going to get really dirty but also really sweaty. Fun times.

As I get more proficient with the process I'll put together a little tutorial. So far I've done a possibles bag and two sheaths with varying degrees of success. Today I'm working on a belt, a sheath, and a frog. If these last three items come out to my satisfaction, I'll be satisfied that I've got the process where I want it.

Thanks for reading,

B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home