American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, December 05, 2013

Revisiting an Old Friend

After a text conversation with Mike of Grindstone Cutlery, I had to pull out an old friend and see what it was that made it such a favored tool.  The Fallkniven F1 has been my "go to" blade for a long time now and this one, my first, has seen plenty of wear and modification. 

 The handle fits my hand well, is thick enough without being too thick, and the rubber is tacky enough to be secure when wet but hard enough to be comfortable during extended use. The lanyard hole position has never been ideal but the low-profile paracord loop I use has never bothered me much.

I had actually forgotten that the handle ripped and had to be repaired once upon a time. The superglue fix has held up extremely well over time and is visible but not perceptible to the thumb during use. Dripping the glue in during the repair has also sealed tight the small gap between the handles and the tang.

Now that it's out, I think I may have to go get it dirty this weekend. It's about time...

Thanks for reading,


B


2 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Brians bck his back in a Swedish way!
Like it, like it alot!!!
All the best from Sweden.

Anders

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger J. J. Magnum said...

The F1 was my go to knife in Alaska and the Yukon. My FIL was amazed at it's sharpness and handy size (I let him use it to clean a large lake trout). For a "thick" blade it really slices nicely.

Glad to see you back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home