American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, September 04, 2013

GEC Farm & Field

The knife I showed in my last update is the GEC Farm & Field in O1 steel and orange delrin handles. It has replaced a much more expensive piece in my right pocket (I'm a Southpaw) and has found a use many times every single day since I got it.

It's not too heavy, not too big, certainly not scary to onlookers, and it takes and holds a great edge with a minimum of effort. Sure, it's mostly been used for breaking down boxes, trimming tags, and peeling and slicing fruit and meat but it does those things with ease and the occasional heavier abuse it can handle too.

The lockback can be a little sticky but a quick shot of Tuffglide brings it right back to life.

Now I was a Sodbuster fan right from the beginning so it's little surprise that this particular design appeals to me but to bump a CRK Umnumzaan out of my pocket and up for sale was a little shocking even to me.

I've got some patina on the blade and it could probably use a quick cleaning and lube again but the knife does what knives are supposed to--it cuts.

Thanks for reading,


B

1 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Blogger BlueTrain said...

That's a nice, practical looking knife. I recently (two months ago!) looked over my knife accumulation and wondered why I even had most of them. When I was little, I was always losing knives. Maybe an orange grip would have helped! My father always carried a pocket knife but I don't ever remember him cutting anything with it but yet he used cord to tie things up everyday at work (he was a route man for a laundry in the 1940 and 1950s). He had a way of wrapping that rough cord around his hands and just snapping it in two.

Some of my knives I thought were much too showy or odd looking to actually carry and at $57, far too valuable to actually carry in the woods. So I bought a practical Mora Companion (love the name), which seems about perfect for a fixed blade knife. But a fixed blade knife like that isn't good for everything, so I still require a pocket knife and I just ordered yet another one. I just don't know what comes over me! My standard for a pocket knife is that it has to be practical for peeling potatoes, which is a more difficult requirement than you would think. I never would use it to cut cord either because good cord is too valuable to go cutting up.

Nice blog. Just started reading it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home